The first thing to do after creating your podcast is to submit it to Apple podcasts (earlier known as iTunes). Apple Podcasts is one of the world’s largest platforms for podcast discovery and listening.
Remember that Apple Podcasts is not a hosting platform. It is a directory of shows submitted by users that can be downloaded by third-party servers. It doesn’t store your artwork or your episode audio files.
Why Submit to Apple Podcasts
You should upload your podcast to Apple Podcasts because:
- It provides your podcast on platforms and devices like iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, CarPlay, HomePod, and many more.
- Major podcast apps like Overcast, Breaker and Pocket Casts use Apple Podcasts’ directory so if you have your podcast on Apple Podcasts, then your podcast will be automatically available on other platforms, reaching a bigger audience.
How to Submit to Apple Podcasts
To submit your podcast, you will have to first create your RSS feed and for that you will have to host your podcast on a hosting platform. If you are looking for such a hosting provider then try Hubhopper Studio. We provide free hosting, creation, and distribution to major Indian and global platforms for your podcast.
Moving on, in this easy step-by-step guide, we will tell you how you can submit your podcast to Apple Podcasts.
Step 1: Create Your RSS Feed Link
As we mentioned before, to submit your podcast to Apple Podcasts, you will have to create your RSS feed link. You can visit your hosting platform and get your RSS feed link from there. If you publish your podcast with Hubhopper then your RSS feed link will be on the right-hand side of your dashboard.
Step 2: Meet the Apple Podcasts Requirements
Let’s have a look at the podcast requirements that you need to meet to upload your podcast to Apple Podcasts:
- Your cover art size should be minimum 1400×1400 pixels and maximum 3000×3000 pixels with RGB colorspace. The file type should be JPEG or PNG.
- Additionally, artwork must not be blurry. It should not include explicit language. Avoid adding sponsors or ad logos in the cover art.
- You must have artwork, required tags, and at least one episode in the RSS feed to submit it to Apple Podcasts.
- The platform supports three types of episodes – full, trailer, and bonus.
Step 3: Create an Apple Account and Login
Once you submit all the details, you will get a verification code on your email ID and registered phone number that you provided.
After verification, your Apple account will be successfully created.
Step 4: Login to Podcasts Connect
After creating the Apple account, you will have to log in to Apple Podcasts Connect with your Apple ID.
Apple will send you a verification code on your phone number.
After the verification is done, you will be directed to Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
Once you accept the Terms and Conditions, you will be directed to a new window “Podcasts Connect requires an iTunes Store Account.”
Your iTunes Store account allows you to purchase products from the iTunes Store, App Store, Apple Books, and more.
Step 5: Create iTunes Store Account
You can create an iTunes Store account through any of the below methods:
- Sign in to the iTunes Store from your iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC, or Apple TV.
- Sign in through your Windows PC by downloading and installing iTunes for Windows.
- If you can’t sign in from the above two options then you can simply sign in from your Android Mobile Device.
To create your iTunes Store account through your android device, follow the steps below:
- Go to the “Google Play Store” and download the “Apple Music” App.
- Once installed, open the app and sign in with your Apple ID and password.
- A message will appear on your screen saying “This Apple ID has not been used in iTunes Store”. Under that, click on “Review”.
- Next, accept the Terms and Conditions.
- Next, fill the billing information form and submit it.
Your Apple ID is ready to be used for submitting your podcast.
Step 6: Submit Your Podcast RSS Feed Link
Now go back to the iTunes Connect page and refresh it. You will see a box for entering your RSS feed link. Enter your RSS feed link.
After submitting your podcast RSS feed link, you will be directed to your podcast feed for validation. Here, all your podcast information will be displayed. If your podcast fails Apple’s validation then Apple will inform you of the reason behind it (ex: no category tag) so that you can fix it.
Once you pass Apple’s validation process, submit your podcast for review.
The review process may take upto 5 business days. Apple will send you an email about the status update of your podcast.
If you don’t want your podcast to be available on Apple Podcasts until a specific date, then you can go to Podcast Connect and select “Hide Podcast” – this will not impact or delay the review process. When you are ready, you can select “Unhide Podcast”. The changes will take effect within 24 hours.
Approved and Rejected Podcasts
If Apple approves your podcast then they’ll send you a confirmation email with the link of your podcast. Within 24 hours, your podcast will become searchable on Apple Podcasts.
If your podcast is rejected, it would most probably be because your podcast didn’t meet Apple’s requirements. You can fix such issues and resubmit your podcast.
If your podcast was removed for an issue that doesn’t allow you to resubmit, Podcast Connect dims the podcast in the dashboard, making you unable to delete it. In such a scenario, you can fix the issues, change the RSS Feed Link, and submit it as a new podcast.
How to Automatically Distribute Your Podcast to Apple Podcasts
If you want to save your time then you can automatically distribute your podcast to Apple Podcasts with Hubhopper studio. Hubhopper provides free distribution to both global and local podcast platforms.
All you have to do is go live with your podcast in the studio. You will see a list of all the platforms that Hubhopper distributes your podcast too. Select the ‘Apple Podcasts’ option and your podcast will be automatically distributed to Apple Podcasts’ directory. It’s that simple!