If you want to start podcasting in India and needs answers about how to start your own podcast, you are at the right place. In this post we have answered all possible questions you could have about how to do a podcast.
What is a Podcast?
Podcasts are audio shows and stories that are available on the internet. Podcasts are series of recorded content pieces, usually based around a specific idea, topic, or theme – just like your favorite shows on TV.
They are typically audio recordings of narratives or conversations, either between a host and a guest speaker, or monologues by a single person. These digital audios can be easily downloaded on mobile devices and listeners can consume them anytime, anywhere.
If you want to know how to start a podcast in India then you are at the right place. In this post we have answered all possible questions you can have about how to make a podcast.
What kind of podcast can I make?
One of the first steps before starting a podcast is to figure out the format which you want to create in. Most podcasts are typically in any of the following formats:
- The Solo Podcast – A solo podcast is often made by podcasters who have expertise they want to share with an audience.
- The Interview Show – An interview show is one of the easiest to do in some respects. As opposed to just you trying to come up with something to talk about, here you can use a different person’s content each week.
- The Panel Show – A host and a number of rotating guests – this brings new outlooks and perspectives to your podcast.
- Conversational/Co-hosted podcast – Essentially this format is a group of people sitting around and having a conversation. If you can find a co-host, or even multiple co-hosts who you can have great chemistry with, your conversational podcast will do wonders.
- Non-Fictional Storytelling – Some examples of this type of podcast include Serial and The Teacher’s Pet. A great Indian podcast of this format is Trial by Error | The Aarushi Files, based around investigating the Aarushi Talwar case.
- Fiction Storytelling -If you are a good writer, fiction storytelling is a great way to create captivating podcasts.
- Repurposed Content – You’ll notice that many video shows, bloggers, vloggers, and content creators will repurpose their shows or existing content into a podcast. This also helps audiences catch up on these shows on-demand whenever they want, or consume the content passively through audio.
- Hybrid – You can go ahead and mix and match the different formats described above. Maybe you want to have guests on a few episodes, while telling stories and doing a solo show for the rest of the show? Go wild!
What about the podcast cover art?
Your cover art is the first point of contact with your listeners. It will inform them what your podcast is and what it is about. We recommend you keep it simple yet eye-catching. Keep the name of your podcast bold and clear. Focus on the font & size of the ‘podcast name’. Remember to keep the background complementary to the font style so that it looks good even in the thumbnail.
Always remember to create your podcast cover art in a 1:1 ratio, a square and save it in a JPG or PNG format. If you wish to start designing your cover art, then here is a video tutorial on how you can create using our in-built design tool. You can check out our blog on some additional designing tips for your cover art.
How do I structure my podcast?
There are many different structures your podcast can take, but the most basic structure is: intro – body – outro.
- Intro – a short and simple description of you as the host, the podcast and/or episode, giving listeners an idea of who you are and what you’re going to be talking about.
- Body – the main portion of your podcast.
- Outro – a short summary of the episode, sometimes with a short preview of or promo of the next episode.
- Background music – many podcasters choose to have background music during at least the intro and outro sections; a great source for this music is YouTube’s Audio Library – they even have sound effects
- Duration – podcast episodes actually range from being 2-120 minutes long! When starting a podcast, aim for not more than 15 minutes and go from there. You may find that you have lots more to say, or not so much…
You can also simply use your mobile phone to start recording your podcast without any hassle. Inbuilt microphones in today’s smartphones are able to capture good audio quality. If you want then you can invest in microphones as well. Just ensure you are in a quiet space, away from the noisy neighbors.
Another thing to keep in mind is to create an engaging script and pronounce each word clearly. If you feel comfortable in recording your podcast episodes in separate parts, then you can do that too. Don’t worry if you fumble while recording. You can easily edit your audio on the desktop using the Hubhopper Studio Editor.
You can use the Hubhopper Studio Editor to edit your podcast. A simple, yet a useful tool in performing tasks like adding music to your podcast, adding fade in & out effects and trimming out parts from your audio. Sign up on Hubhopper studio today to get started with your very own podcast.
Here is a video tutorial to help you with getting started in editing your audio using the Hubhopper studio editor. The studio’s in-built editing tools allow you to create your podcast smoothly. You can also remove background noise, if any finds its way into your audio, by using Audacity tool.
You can host your podcast on Hubhopper. Hubhopper Studio makes the process of creating podcasts simple and seamless for creators. The in-built tools of the studio helps you in tailoring your episodes with ease. It gets your podcasts across both regional and global platforms through its extensive distribution network. Hubhopper’s set of amazing podcast product line and active community of podcasters provides an exceptional platform for creators to curate audio content and facilitates their growth.
Here is a list of platforms where your podcast will be distributed if you host your podcast with us:
- Hubhopper app and web
- Google Podcasts
- Wynk Music
- Ola Play
- Bull Horn
- Pocketcasts and many more …